Nobody asked for my review- The Promised Land Series

What do you get when you mix an Office-style mockumentary series with the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt? 

I'll tell you! 

The Promised Land.

I got to know about The Promised Land when my sister suggested it. Knowing my love for mockumentary-style sitcoms and Biblical history, she knew I'd enjoy watching it.

I saw the trailer last year and knew right away that I was (definitely) going to watch it. And this year, I finally came around to watching it. (Yes, I was late to the party, but hey, at least I made it!)

The Promised Land, created by Mitch Hudson and produced by Ritchie Johns, is a fun retelling of the Israelites' journey out of Egypt. 

While reading the Bible, the book of Exodus was probably one of the longest and most tedious books I have had to read during Sunday School. There were just too many laws to govern the Israelites, and it looked like a fantasy piece, what with the manna and quail every morning, the water from the rock, a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. 

What The Promised Land does is take these incidents and the people in these situations and humanize them in a way that I had never done before. And to see that on screen with jokes that I absolutely love made this series a 10/10 for me.

The cast is a joy to watch. Wasim No'mani, Shereen Khan, and Majed Sayess as Moses, Miriam, and Aaron, respectively, were brilliant and shone bright in their roles. Zippy or Zipporah, played by Tryphena Wade, was so warm and fun (although Miriam might disagree :p).

The introduction of Chissisi was probably one of the best things the makers did (because in all probability, something like that might have happened :p). 

The jokes are a 10/10, and the humour is interspersed with real moments that will make you laugh and also leave you silent in thought, especially the scenes leading up to the building of the Ark of the Covenant in the last episode. They made me laugh, cry, and feel deeply. 

The makers have tried to be funny, real, and as true to the Bible as they could (read The Bible for the actual stories, as they may have taken creative liberties). That in itself is a feat, and I'm so glad I watched it! 


It's a six-episode series on YouTube. Please watch it! You'll love it! :) 



Watch it here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaKYsaAeVpIaO4QGF41-ZvvuG6rPqYPI3

Comments

Jupiter King said…
The undercover Egyptian guy was my favourite character :p
Anonymous said…
I’ve been thinking about watching this for quite sometime. Thank you for this amazing and detailed review.

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody asked for my review - Param Sundari

Nobody asked for my review - A Real Pain

Nobody asked for my review- PonMan