Nobody asked for my review- Derry Girls

Derry Girls was something that I wanted to watch for the longest time. 

As someone who enjoys watching teenage girl drama, and series revolving around female friendships, I knew I had to watch this one ASAP once I found out that the third and the final season was going to release in October 2022.

I kept my saturday free for this and opened Netflix to binge watch. By saturday evening, I had finished watching all three seasons together in one sitting, which was quite easy since every season consisted of 6 episodes, that lasted around 25 mins each.

As soon as I finished watching it, I knew I had to write this review so you all could be convinced to watch this! Read on to find out why you will like it as well.


Derry Girls is a British sit-com, created and written by Lisa McGee, It's set in Ireland during the Troubles, an almost three-decade long nationalist and political time of strife in Northern Ireland (And yes, I did google about the Troubles because obviously our school didn't teach us anything about this :p)

Derry Girls follows the lives of  Erin (Saoirse-Monica Jackson), Orla (Louisa Harland), Claire (Nicola Coughlan), Michelle (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell), and the English fella James (Dylan Llewellyn) in the early 90s and while it may seem as a normal series of everyday events, it tries to capture the political unrest that took place in London Derry and how these kids navigated their day to day life at school, dealing with friendships, dysfunctional families, sexuality in the midst of it.

Written by Lisa McGee, the series is loosely based on her life growing up in Northern Ireland. She brilliantly creates Derry girls with a humorous take on the situation of the 90s in Northern Ireland. The soundtrack, editing and photography is equally fantastic. . 

Every episode shows the trouble (did you see what I did there?), the Derry girls, and more often than not- the family members get themselves into (sometimes you actually think it cannot be bad, and then these girls make it worse and land up in the most bizarre and embarrassing situations) while they try to live their lives, and it only gets better and funnier with each episode. 

Although the characters have thick Irish accents, which might make it difficult to understand what they are saying, it does grow on you after a few episodes (and hey, subtitles are always there to help :)) 

The cast is top-notch, especially the supporting actors who do a wonderful job in keeping the humor kicking throughout the series. (Personally, I think sister Michael and Uncle Colm deserve a special pat on the back for simply being too good).


It's witty, charming, wholesome, and quite relatable - especially for me who did 14 years of her school life in an all-girls school under the presence of nuns. So, don't miss out on this.

Heart, Humor, History- This series has got it all. 10/10 recommend. 

Watch it on Netflix. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody asked for my review - Manjummel Boys

Movies through 2023

Nobody asked for my review- Vaazha